Buckminster Skeeter: Wanna buy a watch?

Friday, January 27, 2006

State Symbols make the news

Back on 11/22/05 I blogged about State Symbols. Yesterday there was a front page article on Virginia's state symbols. It seems that our lawmakers are chewing up valuable time arguing over what should be Virginia's State Song. That's right - state song. God forbid they work on the wretched traffic patterns or rampant violence in some of our cities. Those are not nearly as important as determining which musical tune best describes our state. But at least I had a question answered - who decides? Apparently it takes a resolution put forth by one of our esteemed 'lawmakers' in the Virginia State Senate.
We haven't had an official State Song since the 1997. It used to be Carry me back to Old Virginny but they demoted it because of some 'racist' undertones.

Here's the first verse:

"Carry me back to old Virginny,
There's where the cotton and the corn and tatoes grow,
There's where the birds warble sweet in the springtime,
There's where the old darke'ys heart am long'd to go,
There's where I labored so hard for old massa,
Day after day in the field of yellow corn,
No place on earth do I love more sincerely
Than old Virginny, the state where I was born."

Ironically it was penned by a famous writer named James Bland, who just so happened to be a black guy.
They designated it State Song 'emeritus' for the time being and directed a study committee to come up with a new state song. Yep, that's where my tax dollars are going. For some 'lawmakers' and their lackeys to sit around fishing through the universe of songs searching for the perfect match. Money well spent. Shitheads!

The current debate is about a proposal to name Shenandoah as our state song. For those that don't know, the Shenandoah Valley runs along the western part of Virginia between the Blue Ridge and the Allegheny mountains (I think). It is beautiful and awe-inspiring. The debate rages because the lyrics were written a looong time ago when the territory of Virginia extended about 800 miles further to the west.

1st verse:

"Shenandoah, I long to hear you,
Away, you rolling river,Oh, Shenandoah,
I long to hear you,Away,
I'm bound away,'Cross the wide Missouri.

Hmmmm. Let's see. Virginia doesn't currently extend 'cross the wide Missouri. Who are these pea-brained, over paid, empty suits that are coming up with these ideas?

I'm currently drafting a letter to our State Senate. Here's the rough draft:

Dear esteemed Representatives,

As one of your proud constituents I am honored to provide my assistance in your endeavors to designate our beautiful state with a new official State Song. I fully realize the importance of a having a song to represent what our citizens holds dear. Although only 1 out of 100 people even realize that we have a 'state' anything, we cannot underestimate the importance of these symbolic representations to our economy, quality of life, or general well-being. It is for this purpose that I endorse "Chapter Of Obeisance Before Giving Breath To The Inert One In The Presence Of The Cresent Shaped Horns" by Nile. I believe you will find it's lyrics both inspiring and passionate.

Your faithful constituent,

Buckminster Skeeter

8 Comments:

Blogger mugwump said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the hell??????

That's funny shit man.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Dr. Metal said...

You used the word 'blogged' and did so seriously. What has happened to you, man? You can forget about getting your sticks in the mail; I'm keeping them for myself. Take that.

3:22 AM  
Blogger mugwump said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Dr. Metal said...

Confound you mysterious mugwump. There's no chance the imbecelic Skeeter would have picked up on that. Leave me alone. And go pick up the Nile album. Then you'll have something to blog about.

10:40 AM  
Blogger mugwump said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Buckminster Skeeter said...

Save the riddles Mug, I told him who you are and he still can't remember.
By the way, Nile is not satanic. Their music/lyrics are all based on ancient egyptian mythology and written history. If you want satanism I recommend Krisiun, Morbid Angel, or the Backstreet Boys.

5:18 AM  
Blogger mugwump said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home