Buckminster Skeeter: Wanna buy a watch?

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The French - a continuing peeve

I'm no scholar of international politics but I can't help but be annoyed by the French - once again. The current thorn is the whole "youth rioting" taking place over there. If anyone can shed some light on this for me please do so. Here's the situation as I see it.

The French have a remarkably liberal government. Remarkably! Years ago they put in place a piece of legislature to protect 'worker rights'. It goes like this: If you wish to fire someone, for any reason, you have to endure much expense, waiting periods, and go through many levels of bureaucracy to do so. I can see how this, in theory, would 'protect' some innocent laymen from getting the axe for unfair reasons - thus protecting some sort of liberal rights. But in doing so it has had a backlash which has effected the younger generation. Young people, even in this country, are somewhat of an unknown when you hire them. They have no solid work history, experience, or evolved skill set or work ethic. Most business people know this. French companies have therefore steered away from hiring young people to protect their (businesses) own interest and avoid long mediation and expense. It resulted in a whopping 23+% unemployment rate for people between the ages of 16 and 25 (give or take).

So we have a problem - right!?

The French government, recognizing this problem, are working on another piece of legislation that would end (or at least severely limit) the previous laws as described above. Makes sense, right!? Help out the young ones. Make it easier for them to get jobs. Right!?

Now the youth are raging in the streets at the possibility of losing this legal cushion which would make it nearly impossible to be canned - the same cushion that maintains an incredibly high unemployment rate.

I don't get it.

3 Comments:

Blogger mugwump said...

Mr. Skeeter, I don't even know what is going on politically in our own country, much less there. And I don't have time to research to see if you are telling the truth or just trying to see what a gullible jackass I am. Remember the pencil scandal?

3:55 AM  
Blogger Buckminster Skeeter said...

That's ok. I just needed some light shed on it.
I can go on disliking the French with or without it.

by the way - the only time I'm making stuff up is when I write "Little Known History". It's my way of helping the whole falsifying history conspiracy theory.

4:40 AM  
Blogger mugwump said...

Thanks for the heads up. I had about decided that I was going to wait to comment on issues such as politics, history or geography until Dr. Metal commented so I could get a feel of what to say or what not to say. I think by telling me about your special "Little Known History" projects that you may understand now that you aren't supposed to be a "scourge" to your friends. I do a good enough job of making myself look like a dumbass without your help.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home