Buckminster Skeeter: Wanna buy a watch?

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Getting old

Back when I was in my teens and early 20's I could hardly imagine what it would be like to be in my 30's. I've been doing a lot of thinking about age since my birthday a few days ago. In heart and mind I will always be a crazy teenager (minus the maturity you have to accept due to family and responsibility) but my body ain't what it used to be.

Don't get me wrong - I am still in fairly good shape. I'm 6'1'' and weigh between 180-190 pounds on average. I go to the gym fairly regularly to keep the spare tire at an acceptable level and I partake in sporting activities whenever possible.

But it's getting to the point where body parts start hurting and aching on a regular basis. Sometimes it's for no apparent reason - I wake up with a sore back, get leg cramps in the middle of the day, develop weird stuff like ganglion cysts in my wrist, and so on. This makes me feel old! And I'm only 34. What do my 40's and 50's have in store for me? Is my body failing? I guess they all do - once you reach the pinnacle of human growth and health you start declining - in most people this is around late 20's. This sucks.

2 weeks ago I was taking the plate for my first at bat of the night on my church softball league. I am the 2nd youngest guy on the team. I had warmed up and stretched enough - so I thought. I took a good hard swing and felt pain - burning, snapping, sudden pain from my balls, groin, and hip. I hobbled as best as I could to first base. The pain was so intense I could hardly breath. At best guess I had torn my adductor (leg/groin muscle), damaged the ligaments between the thigh and groin, pulled 'something' in my left nut, and pinched a nerve in my left sacro iliac (sp?) joint. I could barely walk to the car. A week of pain followed - I bandaged, iced, heated, and stretch my aching parts trying to re-coop for the next game. By the next Thursday I felt better - but not at all good. I played anyway. Big mistake. Everything came out hurting again. So I decided to go to the doctor to make sure I didn't do too much damage. He confirmed my suspicions - torn muscles and pinched nerve. The left ball problem seemed more problematic than I anticipated - partly damaged scrotal muscles (yes me have thin muscles in our balls - this is what raises and lowers them to maintain heat) and an infection in the epididimus. "Infection?" I asked. "Yes" he says. Epididimitis can be cause by a variety of things - including STD's. OH SHIT!!!!!!!! But a urine test cleared me of that - Thank the heavens. I don't screw around so I wasn't real sure how I was gonna explain that one. Anyways, the infection has cleared up, the groin muscles have improved and I went 5 for 7 tonight with 3 mega bombs to the right/center field fence to show for it. I still couldn't run full speed on the bases as the scrotal muscles were still hurting badly. That's the embarrassing part - being the 2nd youngest guy on the team I should be running circles around the old men. They have their own issues, of course; bad knees, rotator cuff problems, weak throwing arms, and lack of speed - but I still feel I should be in the best shape.

Perhaps another week of rest and rehab will do it. 10 years ago my body could handle much more abuse. I don't think young people (myself included at the time) fully realize the aging process they will soon be in the midst of.

6 Comments:

Blogger mugwump said...

Yeah, it does suck getting older. I used to laugh at the women at my kids' preschool when they dropped off their kids wearing their work-out gear. But then I thought that I might could get away with looking like I work out and it might be cool to do that. In clothing I look pretty good. I'm 5'9" so I can pull off some things other women can't. But I have a little bit of a belly from popping out 3 kids that has been hell to get rid of. So, on preschool mornings I get up and put on my finest Nike or Adidas work-out garb and put my hair up all cutsie. Then I suck in my belly and proceed to take the kids into school. Then while the other mom's hit the pavement or the gym I hit Chick-Fil-A. There's no way I'm gonna spend the precious few hours I have without kids exercising;I just look like I do.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Dr. Metal said...

I hurt all the time without suffering injury. Sometimes it's my knee. Most of the time it's my neck. How do 75 year olds feel?

8:24 PM  
Blogger Buckminster Skeeter said...

I'm convinced that is why many old people are always ill tempered - they're in pain.

6:03 PM  
Blogger mugwump said...

Yes, most old folks I know or have known live with daily pain. My grandmother is 86 and if I don't catch myself when I call her and purposely not ask "how are you?" she will go into a half hour long story about her "arth a ritis". She has the funniest, thickest Southern accent I've ever heard. Even Donny used to laugh at her, so that should tell you something.

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home