Buckminster Skeeter: Wanna buy a watch?

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Animals

There's something about watching animals attack each other that many people find compelling. Why? I don't know. Sometimes I find myself watching the Discovery Channel where a cheetah is creeping up on an unsuspecting Kudu. The point when the cheetah begins its charge is very exciting. Watching it track down the weaker beast, sink it's teeth in, jump on its back, and go for the throat is awesome. But when I see to dogs go at it, live and in person, I feel very uncomfortable. There's something about the noises - the yelping, primal animal screams that really really bother me. Like Agent Starling in Silence of the Lambs - those noises can haunt me, for a while at least. Last summer an adult rabbit got run over in the street right in front of my house. I was sitting in the living room when I heard this god awful, childlike, scheming. I ran out side and saw the rabbit, draggin itself by the front paws, it's body nearly severed at the waist. It screamed loud - real loud. It freaked me out. Yet I have no trouble squashing a bug or plunging a knife into a live fish. It must be the sound of distressed animals that bothers me most. Then again I cannot bear to watch those animal rescue shows on Animal Planet. My wife loves that stuff - when she channel surfs and stops on that show I go nuts. I demand she turn it IMMEDIATELY - I've unplugged the TV before cause she didn't move fast enough. I cannot stand animal suffering. At least animals that make sounds, I guess. I'm often glad that fish do not scream. How many people would fish if they pulled one out of the water and heard death-throw screams of pain and fear. I certainly wouldn't. Poor fish. But since they make no sound I perceive no pain. No suffering. Same goes with lobsters - throw a live lobster into a pot of boiling water - no problem - no noise. If it let out a "aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggguuuuurrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggg" people wouldn't be so eager to do it. Shame.

Yet with my profound fear of watching animals suffer I still do not mind the nature shows. Maybe because it is just that - Nature. Even though it's natural for a dog to chase down a cat I don't want to see it. Unless it's that nasty orange cat that lives down the street and always starts fights with my cats in my yard. He's a mean little thing. He'll even lunge at me when I go out to break it up. I've gotten in to the habit of piling up a few rocks near the front door so I can have something to hurl at him when I bust out the front door and chase him down the street. I swear I hit him right in the head one night, but I cannot verify that. Bad cat.

Our dog got out again this weekend. He's really bad about running away. It's the hunting dog in him. If he gets 6 inches through a door or gate he bolts like a greyhound. Usually we get a call 4-6 hours later from someone who has him. This weekend he was gone over night for the first time. Animal Control picked him up the next morning. I don't know what he did all night but he came home uninjured sans his collar. How he lost his collar I do not know. The pound used his microchip to track down the rescue organization we got him from and they contacted us. Unfortunately for Levi we're going to give him back to the rescue. I made that decision despite my wives unhappiness. He's gotten out 5 times since February and it's just n to worth the hassle of always looking over your shoulder when you open a door to make sure he doesn't get out. Or having to lock every door so the kids don't accidentally let him out. He may end up run over or lost forever. He needs a home with a very large fenced yard where there is little chance of him getting out. There's much tension around the house about my decision to give up the dog. But so be it.

4 Comments:

Blogger mugwump said...

I agree with you that the dog's safety should take precedence over everything, yet could you not come to some sort of compromise? It's really not fair for you to get to decide that the dog goes back. Yes, it is inconvenient and costly at times to have pets, but your wife's happiness is worth it. Invest the time and money it would take to keep the dog safe and let your wife have the dog. It's not a lot to ask.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Buckminster Skeeter said...

No.

Having pets and my wife's happiness are not the issue. The issue is this particular dog. We have 4 cats - so pet owning is no problem. We can go get another dog of her choice - so dog ownership is no problem. And it is completely fair for me to decide that the dog goes back - my wife would take in a black bear if it needed a home. I am simply making the decision that she is unable to make. It's like her throwing out my 11 year old silk boxers - it needed to be done, but I just couldn't do it.

6:38 AM  
Blogger mugwump said...

But if your wife is already attatched to that particular dog and something could be done to keep the dog safe and keep your wife happy, why not do it? I think men miss the boat here a lot. I admit, I'm overly sensitive right now - I just left a 10 year relationship and 8 year marriage because I was not treated fairly. And you know me, I am not hard to get along with.

I also did not throw out any of my husband's belongings. Of course he had things that were annoying- holey high school t-shirts, and yes, the dreaded boxers that did not fit, but unless something poses a health hazard to the family I don't agree with throwing away other people's belongings. I would not want that done to me. The Golden Rule is good to live by. And I will not settle for less again. I would rather live alone for the rest of my life.

8:19 AM  
Blogger mugwump said...

Hey, wait just a damn minute. Did you say 11 year old silk boxers? I think *I* gave you those!!! Forget about what I said about the dog - get rid of it!

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home