Buckminster Skeeter: Wanna buy a watch?

Monday, July 10, 2006

Cell Phone Smarts


When I was a younger man - I'd say through my mid/late 20's - I was more creative, imaginative, free spirited, and extemporaneous. Of course much of this can be explained by the exuberance of youth and immaturity. For the last 6 years or so I have grown up - or so I thought. I have become smarter, wittier, more organized, and analytical. Not that I'm the smartest guy in the room wherever I go but I can tell how much I have changed. Most people would dismiss this change as growing up, maturing, becoming more socially responsible, etc.... But I believe I have found another answer.

In a study by some Italian brain people there has been shown a direct link between cell phone usage and increased brain activity. It works like this: Cell phone emit an electromagnetic field - as do all electrical devices - which can enhance brain activity (also an electrical process). Their research has concluded that holding a phone to one side of the brain will, in time, increase that particular sides activity (see http://www.webmd.com/content/article/124/115564?src=RSS_PUBLIC). Most neurologists agree about the Right Brain - Left Brain functions. The left brain is geared towards things like time/spatial relation, organization, and analysis. The right brain is more for creativity, emotions, holistics, and human interaction.

Now here's the thing.. I ALWAYS use my left ear on the phone. Always. This started when I had a telemarketing job when I was 26 or so. I had a really loud guy to my left so I held the phone to my left ear so I could hear better. Using it this way, all day, 7 days per week, for over a year got it ingrained in my brain. For a while I thought I may have hearing damage in my right ear (I don't... had it checked) because I was very uncomfortable using my right ear on the phone. I got my first cell phone in 1998 and have been using my left ear since.

So if this new study holds true I have enhanced my left brain daily, over a period of 7 years, thereby giving me a boost in left brain characteristics. Can it be so? Or have I just 'grown up'?

2 Comments:

Blogger mugwump said...

I think it's the combination of using your left ear to listen on the phone and also your admission of always leaning to the left to pass gas in a seated position. Maybe you did a lot of both simultaneously.That's how you can maintain that delicate balance between maturing, but not becoming "mature".

6:04 PM  
Blogger Buckminster Skeeter said...

brilliant!

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home