Buckminster Skeeter: Wanna buy a watch?

Monday, August 14, 2006

Desire and it's many forms

As I listen to Mastodon's new album, which comes out next month (don't ask), I find myself having a certain level of anticipation to which I decided to ascribe a name. Here's what I know: I have a desire to purchase this album. My desire is higher than it would be on the release of an average metal band's CD.

While searching for the right term I came up with the following options : hanker, long, ache, yearn, pine, languish, crave, hunger, itch, etc...

According to Dictionary.com they carry the following (paraphrased) definitions

Hanker: Strong, restless desire
Long: Earnest, heartfelt desire
Ache: A desire for something not present
yearn: Strong, melancholy desire
Pine: Lingering, often Nostalgic Desire
Languish: To become downcast or pine away in longing
Crave: eager, intense desire
Hunger: A Strong craving or desire
Itch: restless desire

So If I have this correct...... If I itch for something I desire it restlessly but not very strongly - if I did I would hanker for it. If I pined for something it would be a desire that stuck around for a while and be directed towards something in the past or otherwise not present - if it weren't for all the lingering I'd really just be aching. If I yearn for something without so much melancholy I'm really hankering for it. God forbid I languish over it because that combines a lingering, nostalgic desire with earnesty. I can crave something with eager, intense desire but if my craving is strong then I'm really hungering for it - and that means both strong and intense.

Since the word "desire" surfaces in all the definitions (except 'languish' which is defined by words which are defined by 'desire') I don't see why I need so many variations. Is need and want so important in a human's life that we need so many ways to describe it?

Looking back at the first paragraph of this blog I see a much more appropriate term - anticipate. It means "to look forward to, especially with pleasure". It is unfortunate that 'pleasure' is defined as a " fundamental feeling that is hard to define but that people desire to experience" - as this brings me right back to desire. Oh well.

2 Comments:

Blogger mugwump said...

I'm moist after reading this.

Moist is a weird word.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Buckminster Skeeter said...

I like the word - moist.

Any word which can describe a chocolate cake and a pussy has to be a good word.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home