Buckminster Skeeter: Wanna buy a watch?

Monday, December 04, 2006

More Robert Palmer

I was starting to think that Robert Palmer wrote songs specifically to confuse me when I remembered that Get it On (Bang a Gong) was not only written and performed years earlier, by T. Rex, but that Palmer's version was while he was part of Power Station - the '80's not-so-super group with 2 double Durans and some guy from the band Chic plus Palmer himself. Anyways, that song Get It On gets me. I have gotten it on many times. I have banged a gong, I think, one time. It was in a music shop in Birmingham called Nuncies back in the 80's. Is banging gongs something I'm supposed to relish? Is it something which enhances joy or the exuberance of youth? There's never been a situation where I had even the remotest possibility to both get it on and bang a gong simultaneously. Was Palmer suggesting that I bang a gong whilst getting it on? I guess it would be sort of a dramatic finish. The rest of the song makes fair sense to me. A lot of wearing black, dirty and sweet, you're my girl stuff. Kinda basic. Then I get really thrown off with "Well, you're built like a car...You got a hubcap diamond star halo....You're built like a car, oh yeah". Huh? First off is being 'built like a car' sexy? And what the hell is a hubcap diamond star halo? I guess I need to get out more. The next line proclaims "Well, you're an untamed youth.....That's the truth, with your cloak full of eagles." Eagles get me hard... Especially cloakfulls.

Eagles, hubcaps, diamonds, cloaks, and gongs.

And I thought metal lyrics were stupid.

3 Comments:

Blogger mugwump said...

Nuncie's was there in the 90's when I used to go to your house and join you in the getting of it on. What about now? The store, I mean! Is it still there?

5:54 PM  
Blogger Dr. Metal said...

I've had no time for Robert Palmer. All of my time has been absorbed in trying to figure out the layers of meaning in Blood Mountain.

3:18 AM  
Blogger mugwump said...

I've never banged a gong, but I've ganged a bong.

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home