Buckminster Skeeter: Wanna buy a watch?

Friday, December 15, 2006

Musical Revelations

Musical tastes change over time. Through the years there are certain bands or albums which I thought I liked - but it turns out I really don't and never truly did. On the contrary, there are those I always disliked but, as it turns out, I actually do like them and probably have for a while. Some I have always liked but wasn't really "in to" heavily but have grown to become a huge fan. It's funny how tastes change over time. Of course a band or album may have a special place because of when I heard it - back in my youth - maybe it brings up certain great memories - but in retrospect I might think the music really sucks. The list (only partial here) of bands I once thought I liked but no longer do is much longer than the other list - but this is only natural, I guess.


Thought, or pretended, that I liked but I really don't:

Hammerfall, Gamma Ray, Gardenian, Soilwork ,Crosby Stills and Nash, Steve Miller Band, Viking, Dimmu Borgir, The Who, VoiVod,The Misfits, Brutal Truth, Accept, Alice Cooper, Malevolent Creation, Danzig, Motorhead, The Ramones, Biohazard, Corrosion of Conformity, Carnal Forge, and others

Thought I did not like or didn't realize that I liked as much as I do:
Aerosmith, Nile, Queensryche, White Lion, Fates Warning, Yes, Rush, Badlands, etc...


Then there are those bands which have stood the test of time (in some cases) and could probably be labeled as my all time favorites. These are the bands/albums which I can throw into the CD player and never touch the skip button on most tracks. CD's that I don't get sick of and let collect dust on the rack. For arguments sake I feel I should have listened to a band for at least 5 years before putting them on this list - preserves authenticity.

Iron Maiden, Nevermore, Black Sabbath, Entombed, Mastodon, Slayer, In Flames (almost), Vio-lence, Death Angel, OZZY solo, Crumbsuckers, David Lee Roth era Van Halen, Testament (minus the Ritual - which, like an Iranian to Israel, I refuse to acknowledge), CCR, and Leo Kottke.

2 Comments:

Blogger mugwump said...

White Lion!? Thanks for the laugh first thing this morning.

I don't like The Who much, either, but the drummer wasn't too shabby. That's what I've realized of late about my music choices- how much the quality of the drums matters to me. I adore old Van Halen, too, but get frustrated with Alex's playing. Eddie was so damn good, though, I didn't notice that before. I love all those old geezers - Bill Ward, Mitch Mitchell, Ian Paice, Ginger Baker.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Dr. Metal said...

Predictions:

DragonForce will go into the category of "used to like a lot but now don't." Right now I like them a lot despite their silliness.

Death is a surprising one for me. They've had excellent staying power. So many changes through their career and most of them have worked. There's only one album of theirs that I've never gotten into.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home